Last night I cast on to make a halter top for myself. Something I don't often do - knit for myself. I checked my gauge, my needle size and the weight of the yarn. All was in order and to the specifications of the pattern so away I went.
I was starting on the back of the halter and I cast on the 123 stitches required and knit the first row. Oh gee, this was starting to look a little large for me. I thought, well, let's give it a go and see what happens. I continued onto the second row of the lace hem and it was not getting any smaller. Uh-oh!! Finally after three rows I stopped and thought I don't know who I am trying to kid but this is not going to fit me.
I held it up to me and was able to wrap it all the way around my body. Clearly this was not working. If I had decided to knit it in the round then I would have been just fine but that is not what the pattern called for.
Needless to say I was most disappointed as this has not happened to me before and I was actually doing something for myself. I was hoping to wear it on a date with my husband.
Oh well, I guess I will have to revisit the pattern and modify it to suit me.
Maybe I will just go back and do those tube socks for babies I was looking at.
Keep your needles clicking.